Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Spark Plug Replacement 2006 Sorrento
Current time: 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply  Post Thread 

bhesson
Sorento Master

Group: Registered

Hi,

Just wanted some advice on plug replacement on my 2006 Sorrento. I have 90K on it and have done all of the other scheduled maintenance and the plugs are next.

I seem to remember it's a large task and requires basically removing the top of the engine to do it?

Assuming I want to just take a chance and just replace the plugs and see how much luck I get going forward and not having a wire go bad, how hard is just replacing the plugs, versus the plugs and wires? What needs to be removed to simply just replace the plugs?

BTW, why did they design an engine that required so many parts to be removed to do what I would call in the past, a simple normal tuneup, LOL?

This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 03:09 PM by bhesson.

03-06-2011 03:08 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
KiaMech
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor
RE: Spark Plug Replacement 2006 Sorrento

It's not a big deal changing the plugs. You have to get the plastic covers off, then either remove the three coils on the drivers side, or pull the wires out on the passenger side. Changing the wires is a pain though. You would also have to remove the surge tank and fish the wires blindly through a wire separator/holder on the rear of the engine.

It may be more difficult to change the plugs and wires on this engine versus older engines, but you are also getting about 3-4 times the life out of the parts.

Save a life, Donate Blood

After that head over to www.SorentoNation.com and say hi.

Due to the lack of time I have to answer posts and PM's, I won't be able to participate as much as I have in the past. PM's have also been turned off.
03-06-2011 04:09 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
bhesson
Sorento Master

Thanks for your reply as always. I hope you realize how much you contribute to all of us who post here.

I moderated a free Windows/PC help site for about 5 years so I know the time and energy you put in to replying to us here.

If you ever need any Windows/PC help please let me know and that goes for anyone else at this site in need of PC/Windows help.

BTW, I wouldn't start the threads here to help them or you for PC issues. I'd redirect them to the PC Help site I moderated before giving it up due to the lack of time to contribute but the site is thriving and free as others have come along after me to keep the free support available and the site has become one of the top Windows PC help sites on the net.

Thanks again, Bryan

This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 05:47 PM by bhesson.

03-06-2011 05:37 PM
KiaMech
SS Donor

Thanks, will do. It does take time, but I like doing it. I work on Sorentos, own a Sorento, and have access to information that most people don't. I don't mind helping people out and explaining things that you usually won't get from a dealer and definitely don't get from Kia (as well as any other manufacturer). When you go to get your car worked on, you will almost never talk to the mechanic that has the knowledge and is actually doing the work as they almost always work flat rate and time is literally money. The guys at the service desk know enough to get by, but their primary job is to keep you happy and sell extra services and parts.

PS - You'll probably be sorry you posted that in an open forum! lol. Now we all know where to go!

Due to the lack of time I have to answer posts and PM's, I won't be able to participate as much as I have in the past. PM's have also been turned off.
03-06-2011 05:52 PM
bhesson
Sorento Master

Thanks, its funny because all that you said I can 100 percent relate to and turn around and apply to what I felt and went through helping PC users.

BTW, the free volunteer staffed PC help site is http://forums.techguy.org/

Bryan

This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 06:15 PM by bhesson.

03-06-2011 06:05 PM
KiaMech
SS Donor

Thanks. I will put that in my favorites. I have one computer that will definitely need a visit to the site.

03-06-2011 06:51 PM
nstoolman1
Sorento God

I just got through doing the plugs and wires on my 03. I found it easier but time consuming to remove the surge tank and the rear cowling. It gives you so more room to work with. I also, while I had the tank off, replaced the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets. Also replace the 2 heater hoses in the rear. The Y-hose especially. Do the PVC also. Be very careful with the injector harness.(Don't ask how I know but it can be very brittle and cause trouble). I also did my timing belt and water pump. Looking back between the 2 projects the belt was the easier of the 2. KiaMech also lent his advice and helped alot. I would like to thank him publicly. After removing the surge tank twice I am actualy getting pretty good at it. I know it is costly but spend the money now. It saves the hastles of tearing it down later for one of those parts you could do today. I spent about $700 in parts to do the major work.

This post was last modified: 03-09-2011 12:16 AM by nstoolman1.

03-06-2011 09:50 PM
bhesson
Sorento Master

thanks for the reply

03-07-2011 05:42 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: